Back To Blog

When choosing a retirement community, I want age diversity


I had to laugh when I read this comment when we asked What other information or topics would you like to learn more about!

More than just old folk communities. As a senior, I want age diversity where I live, not just the aged.

First, thank you to all who took our recent survey. As I often say, the best articles result from your questions, let me talk about old folk communities and others in this article.

Last year we handled 175 real estate transactions. In 83%, or 142 transactions, our agents were representing the Buyers, not the Sellers. Although 60% of our transactions were in a 55+ community, the other 40% were not. It was about the same breakdown in 2015, so it seems that many people do want age diversity in the community they choose for retirement.

Are there any 55+ communities in Southern Delaware other than Independence? Are there any new 55+ communities coming soon within a 20 minute drive of the beach?

We had many questions similar to this from those who completed our Survey. Actually, the closest 55+ community to the beach is Bay Crossing in Lewes but there are no more new homes being built there. Resales do come on the market, however, and continue to sell well because of the location.

You can find the most current information on 55+ Communities in Southern Delaware on this page of our web site Coastal DE 55+ Communities.

Although there are only a few age restricted communities in Southern Delaware, it is still the most popular choice for the majority of our retiring clients. We Boomers are the largest group of buyers, regardless whether the community is age restricted or age targeted or even All Ages, and community restrictions typically do not allow things like basketball hoops or swing sets in the yard. There is a new age targeted community Coming Soon in Milton, DE, to be built by DR Horton, ranked Americas #1 Homebuilder by Builder Magazine since 2002. We will be highlighting this new community in an upcoming Delaware Community Update & Neighborhood News.

I find your topics interesting. I'm not as interested in the types of communities you tend to feature. Not everyone wants a home or townhouse in a congested community or on a tiny piece of land.

Again, I agree! It is really fun when we get to work with a client that is looking for that unique home or community. One of my agents said it made him feel like a detective, scouring the MLS, previewing communities and hunting for the right fit for each client.

Unfortunately, many of the new home communities, especially those with amenities, do not come with larger lots. While we may feature the newest active adult communities, we have given you the ability to search in so many different ways on our website. Have you seen the Tutorials we produced to show you how to navigate our website?

And as we get to know you better, we will help you discover homes and communities that will meet your needs.


Add Comment

Comments are moderated. Please be patient if your comment does not appear immediately. Thank you.


  1. No comments. Be the first to comment.