Working with an Active Adult Real Estate Specialist
At Active Adults Realty we focus on the people, not the places. We do make it our business to learn all about the different communities so that we can help our clients make good choices.
We help our clients research future retirement housing options, buy a second home that may become a full time residence in the future or sell the large family home and look for more appropriate housing that will provide years of comfortable living. Our younger clients include Boomers that are helping parents find more accessible housing so that they can continue to live independently.
When you are ready to think about buying a second/vacation home or a retirement home nearby or in a new town, it’s important to work with people that you trust and feel comfortable with, whatever your age or motivation. That includes not only a Realtor® to represent you, but also a financial advisor, mortgage consultant, an attorney, and other trusted advisors.
Kathy Sperl-Bell, Broker-Owner, Active Adults Realty, is a Seniors Real Estate Specialist (SRES). A senior client by our definition is anyone planning ahead for their retirement. We sometimes call our clients "Boomers and Beyond"!. Some key points to remember –
- Only a Realtor® can become an SRES and many with that specialization are also certified as an Accredited Buyers Representative (ABR).
- Working through a Realtor®, even one with an ABR and SRES certification generally costs you nothing. Whether you buy an existing home, a new home or a home in an Active Adult Community, any broker commission is paid at settlement out of the Sellers’ proceeds. Exceptions may include a home listed For Sale by Owner.
- You will not pay less for a home in an Active Adult Community or any other new home community if you go to them directly without representation by your own Buyer’s Agent, no matter what you may have heard.
- A Buyer’s Agent is responsible to his/her client - you. It is your agent’s goal to help you find the right house at the right price for you and negotiate on your behalf.
- A sales person at any new home community is an employee of the builder and has one objective - to sell you one of their homes in that particular community. They will not tell you about another community in the area or one that is coming soon that may suit you better.
You Won't Go Unprotected
There is no one solution that fits everyone. Active Adult Communities are not the right answer for everyone in the target age group of 55+. It is a great option for many, and there are different communities to consider.
At the Delaware Beaches and surrounding areas, always a popular vacation home and retirement home choice for people from the Mid Atlantic Region, there are both Active Adult and Non-Age Restricted communities. There are also great housing options in the resort towns of Rehoboth Beach or Lewes and wonderful towns a little further inland like Milton, Milford, Georgetown and others. Developing a client relationship with a qualified Seniors Real Estate Specialist is the best way to get all the information you need to make a good real estate decision for your future.